Can you help this photo get back to its family?
I have a number of photos of these lovely ladies. Elnora Rooney* Hewitt was a close family friend of my great-grandfather George K. Warner, Sr. and his sisters Florence and Alice, enough so that she became “Aunt” to George’s children. I would love to find a descendant to return these photos to—there aren’t many, but just one can be priceless when you have no other photos.
Here’s what I know:
- Elnora Rooney was born between 1876-78 in Brooklyn, NY. She married an unknown Hewitt and had one child, Alice, in 1908. By the 1910 census Elnora is a widow. She most often went by Nellie. She was still alive in 1940 and living with Alice in Brooklyn.
- Nellie’s mother, Sarah Roney was born in Scotland. The 1910 census indicates she was born about 1838 and immigrated in 1875.
- Nellie’s father, James Roney pops up in the 1925 NY state census living with Nellie and Alice. He is listed as 75 years old, born about 1850 in Ireland. The census states he immigrated in 1874 and has been in the United States for 55 years. He is not working.
- Alice G. Hewitt, daughter of Nellie Hewitt, was born around 1908 in Brooklyn, NY. The photo above, dated 1910, lists Alice as being 2 years and 8 months old.
Things I’m wondering about:
- Where was Nellie’s mother and father in other census years? I can’t find them anywhere.
- Did Nellie have siblings that might have descendants still living?
- Was Sarah Roney really more than 10 years older than James? (note: I found a marriage record for October 22, 1874 for a James Roney and Sarah Baird marrying in Brooklyn—which could be Nellie’s parents)
- Who was Nellie’s husband? What happened to him? When did he die?
- When did Nellie die?
- Did Alice ever marry? When did she die?